Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2015

Kalayar Kovil (British played cruel role in this temple)


Kalaiyar Kovil is a place which is situated in Sivaganga District, Tamil Nadu, India which was ruled by the Maruthu Pandiyar. There is a very large Shiva temple. Kalaiyar Kovil is owned by the family of the Rajah of Sivaganga. It is run by their devasthanam, and a trust of the zamindar family of Devakottai.
A lofty Rajagopuram (150 feet) and an imposing Teppakkulam tank (with a mandapam) named Aanai madu adorn this shrine. Airavatam the elephant of Indra is said to have created this tank. There are three shrines in this temple associated with the three functions of creation, preservation and completion. The presiding deity lord shiva is called as Kaaleeswarar, Someswarar, Sundareswarar and the Ambal his consort mother Parvathy is called as Swarnambikai, Soundara Nayagi, Meenakshi. Additional to that there are 3 separate shrines for both the male and female deities of famous Shiva temples in a mandapam outside the shrine.
Kalaiyar Kovil derived its name from the Kaleeswarar temple of the place. Kalaiyar is a corruption of the word Kaleeswaran. During the Sangam period, this place was known as Kaanapair as is seen from the 21st verse in the purananooru sung by Iyur moolakizhar, a poet of the Sangam period. In the 9th Century A.D. Saint Sundara moorthy nayanar described the presiding deity in his devotional songs as Kaalai. Since then the deity was known as Kalaiyar, with the Tamil sufix yar added to it denoting respect. The temple came to be known as Kalaiyar Kovil and this was later adapted to the place also.
Kalaiyarkoil was the seat of the kings from very early days. King Vengai Marban ruled over this area during Sangam period. It was the stronghold of rulers of Sivangangai. It was also the seat of the freedom fighters like Muthu Vaduga Natha Thevar and Maruthu brothers.
On 25 June 1772, the Company forces under Col. Joseph Smitt and Cap. Bonjour marched towards Kalayar Kovil. The second king of Sivaganga, Muthu Vaduga Natha Thevar (1750–1772) and Maruthu brothers defended it. Rajah Muthu Vaduganatha Thevar in anticipation of the English invasion made preparation for defence. But Rajah Muthu Vaduganathar with the many of his soldiers fell dead in the kalaiyarkoil battle. The invading English forces plundered Kalaiyarkoil and collected jewels worth 50,000 pagodas. Kalaiyarkoil temple belongs to Sivagangai Devasthanam.
The temple was kept locked and prayers stopped for some time. it was later re opened and substantial repairs and development were done by Devakottai Zamindar. In fact Shree AL.AR.RM.Arunachalam Chettiar, Zamindar of Devakottai took up sanyas from Koviloor and moved to the vedantha madam at kalayar kovil. He was known as Shreelashree Jamindar Arunachala Gnana Desiga Swamigal and his samadhi is in the rear of the madam. Shree Zamindar swamigal, Senior heir of Devakottai Zamindar Shri AL.AR.Ramasamy Chettiar, Shri AL.AR.RM.Arunachalam Chettiar the then Zamindar of Devakottai in succssion had started Devakottai Zamindar Kattalai Endowment after the demise of his father Devakottai Zamindar AL.AR Ramasamy Chettiar (now known as AL.AR.Trust) with a Registered agreement to Sivagangai Devasthanam to conduct special daily, monthly poojas to God Sorna Kaleeswarar and deity Sornavalli Amman.This is performed continuously by his son and his successor AL.AR.Kalairajah Chettiar, then Devakottai Zamindar, thereafter by his son and his legal heir AL.AR.K.Veerappan Chettiar, then Devakottai Zamindar and presently performed by his son and his legal heir in succession AL.AR.K.VR.ChinnaVeerappan Chettiar, Devakottai Zamindar
The Marudhu Pandiyars and many of their family members were captured at Cholapuram they were infamously hanged at same time in the Fort of Tiruppathur (Sivaganga District, Tamil Nadu) on the English month of October 24, 1801. (Maruthu brothers surrendered to British to save the Kalaiyar koil, the fort they hanged was very close to temple) The gave their life for the temple.