Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Bipolar Disorder

“Bipolar I Disorder is one of the most severe forms of mental illness and is characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and (more often) depression. The condition has a high rate of recurrence and if untreated, it has an approximately 15% risk of death by suicide. It is the third leading cause of death among people aged 15-24 years”
- Internet Mental Health
The article also clarifies that Bipolar I Disorder should not be confused with Bipolar Disorder 2, BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) or Mood Disorders triggered by Physiological conditions.
Sort of brings clarity to my mind, too:
A few well-meaning friends in their feedback talk about their total recovery from Bipolar Disorder.
Research says that one can’t compare variants of Bipolar. Similarly, each individual is distinct, the environmental factors which have such a huge bearing, vary, too.
Does the label of ‘severe, incurable illness’ bother me?
Honestly it did, for many years. I have now made peace with my condition.
It is no longer about complete recovery. A pragmatic me declares: it is about living a life of fulfillment.

No comments:

Post a Comment